KFF Well being Information
Learn Julie’s tales.
Julie Rovner is chief Washington correspondent and host of KFF Well being Information’ weekly well being coverage information podcast, “What the Well being?” A famous skilled on well being coverage points, Julie is the creator of the critically praised reference ebook “Well being Care Politics and Coverage A to Z,” now in its third version.
A last deal reduce between President Joe Biden and Home Republicans extends the U.S. debt ceiling deadline to 2025 and reins in some spending. The invoice signed into regulation by the president will protect many applications at their present funding ranges, and Democrats have been in a position to forestall any adjustments to the Medicare and Medicaid applications.
Nonetheless, hundreds of thousands of Individuals are more likely to lose their Medicaid protection this 12 months as states are as soon as once more allowed to redetermine who’s eligible and who is just not; Medicaid rolls have been frozen for 3 years as a result of pandemic. Knowledge from states which have begun to disenroll individuals means that the overwhelming majority of these dropping insurance coverage should not those that are not eligible, however as an alternative individuals who failed to finish required paperwork — in the event that they obtained it within the first place.
This week’s panelists are Julie Rovner of KFF Well being Information, Joanne Kenen of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg College of Public Well being and Politico, Lauren Weber of The Washington Submit, and Jessie Hellmann of CQ Roll Name.
CQ Roll Name
Learn Jessie’s tales
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg College of Public Well being and Politico
Learn Joanne’s tales
The Washington Submit
Learn Lauren’s tales
Among the many takeaways from this week’s episode:
- Lawmakers and White Home officers spared well being applications from substantial spending cuts in a last-minute settlement to boost the nation’s debt ceiling. And Biden named Mandy Cohen, a former North Carolina well being director who labored within the Obama administration, to be the subsequent director of the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention. Although she lacks educational credentials in infectious ailments, Cohen enters the job with a fame as somebody who can hear and be listened to by each Democrats and Republicans.
- The elimination of many Individuals from the Medicaid program, post-public well being emergency, goes as anticipated: With a whole bunch of 1000’s already stripped from the rolls, most have been deemed ineligible not as a result of they don’t meet the standards, however as a result of they did not file the correct paperwork in time. Almost 95 million individuals have been on Medicaid earlier than the unwinding started.
- Japanese and now southern elements of the USA are experiencing hazardous air high quality situations as wildfire smoke drifts from Canada, elevating the urgency surrounding conversations in regards to the well being results of local weather change.
- The drugmaker Merck & Co. sued the federal authorities this week, difficult its capability to press drugmakers into negotiations over what Medicare pays for a few of the costliest medicine. Specialists predict Merck’s coercion argument may fall flat as a result of drugmakers voluntarily select to take part in Medicare, although it’s unlikely this would be the final lawsuit over the difficulty.
- In abortion information, some docs are pushing again towards the Indiana medical board’s resolution to reprimand and wonderful an OB-GYN who spoke out about offering an abortion to a 10-year-old rape sufferer from Ohio. The docs argue the choice may set a foul precedent and suppress docs’ efforts to speak with the general public about well being points.
Additionally this week, Rovner interviews KFF Well being Information senior correspondent Sarah Jane Tribble, who reported the most recent KFF Well being Information-NPR “Invoice of the Month” function, a few affected person with Swiss medical insurance who skilled the sticker shock of the U.S. well being care system after an emergency appendectomy. When you have an outrageous or exorbitant medical invoice you need to share with us, you are able to do that right here.
Plus, for “further credit score,” the panelists recommend well being coverage tales they learn this week that they assume it’s best to learn, too:
Julie Rovner: The New York Occasions’ “This Nonprofit Well being System Cuts Off Sufferers With Medical Debt,” by Sarah Kliff and Jessica Silver-Greenberg.
Jessie Hellmann: MLive’s “In the course of the Darkest Days of COVID, Some Michigan Hospitals Made 100s of Hundreds of thousands,” by Matthew Miller and Danielle Salisbury.
Joanne Kenen: Politico Journal’s “Can Hospitals Flip Into Local weather Change Preventing Machines?” by Joanne Kenen.
Lauren Weber: The Washington Submit’s “Smoke Brings a Warning: There’s No Escaping Local weather’s Risk to Well being,” by Dan Diamond, Joshua Partlow, Brady Dennis, and Emmanuel Felton.
Additionally talked about on this week’s episode:
KFF Well being Information’ “As Medicaid Purge Begins, ‘Staggering Numbers’ of Individuals Lose Protection,” by Hannah Recht.
To listen to all our podcasts, click on right here.
And subscribe to KFF Well being Information’ ‘What the Well being? on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Pocket Casts, or wherever you hearken to podcasts.
KFF Well being Information is a nationwide newsroom that produces in-depth journalism about well being points and is likely one of the core working applications at KFF—an unbiased supply of well being coverage analysis, polling, and journalism. Be taught extra about KFF.
USE OUR CONTENT
This story will be republished without cost (particulars).
We encourage organizations to republish our content material, freed from cost. Right here’s what we ask:
You could credit score us as the unique writer, with a hyperlink to our kffhealthnews.org website. If doable, please embody the unique creator(s) and KFF Well being Information” within the byline. Please protect the hyperlinks within the story.
It’s vital to notice, not all the things on kffhealthnews.org is out there for republishing. If a narrative is labeled “All Rights Reserved,” we can’t grant permission to republish that merchandise.
Have questions? Tell us at KHNHelp@kff.org